Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Open Post Time - Interviews are Scary

Interviews are scary.

As some may know, I graduate in May. I've been looking for jobs for a while, and I've applied for a few. One finally came back to me today, and I had an interview. First of all, suits are rough on me. The pants never seem to fit, the jacket never seems to be the right length. Although, I think I happen to look damn fine in a suit, they're always tough on me. I prefer jeans any day.

So, I get myself all cleaned up for it, and of course, I'm nervous as hell. As some of you have seen this week, I'm sick too. It's been off and on, and it was on today. That certainly doesn't help. So, I'm not at 100% and then I'm in a suit, trying to not get lunch all over myself. Then the time came for the actual interview.

It was with Weather Central, where I already work, but at a separate building. Of course, I didn't know where it was. After searching for the building, I went upstairs. After the interview began, I did two things wrong. With the question "What do you think is your greatest weakness?" I responded "I have a hard time explaining things to people." Of course, I'm applying for a customer service rep position that explains things to people for a living. Smooth move, huh? I was also asked "What does it mean to mount a drive?" I said it either meant to physicall y attached it to the rack or to hook it up to the computer. OF course, it meant to VIRTUALLY mount it. Terrific. Other than that. I learned some things today.

1. Always try to be yourself as much as possible. It makes life easier.
2. Don't wory... just do your best.

I'd love to expound, but I feel rather gross at the moment. Sickness is not cool.

2 comments:

Sam said...

Sorry to hear the interview didn't go perfect, but there are many more I'm sure. Next time you'll be able to take what you learned from this one and use it to better your skills next time! So are we going to see you on the news giving us the weather ever?

Staci said...

I can definitely relate to you. I just finished up my fourth (and final) interview with Teach for America and I was so nervous. It took a long time and I kept thinking to myself that they don't like me, which threw me off my game. I think the best thing to do is be really confident, because the people in the interview who acted like they already had the job did perform a lot better on the tasks they were given.